5 things to know about conflict zone insurance

Questions about conflict zone insurance? We have answers.

Here are some things you should know before you get out your wallet.

1.  What’s the biggest difference between conflict zone insurance and backpacker’s insurance?

If your home country has issued a travel warning regarding your destination, regular travel insurance won’t cut the mustard.

Conflict zone insurance covers accidental death, accidental dismemberment, medical expenses and emergency medical evacuation, in areas that wimpy regular insurance doesn’t cover.

2. What’s a common mistake people make when buying conflict zone insurance?

Not checking who the service and claims providers are and their service strengths, particularly in conflict zones. Here’s where you need to do your homework. If you bust your knee in Yemen, will your care be managed by a call centre guy in London?

3. What about adventure sports?

Most policies cover amateur adventure sports, with some limitations, including extreme altitudes, very deep depths, wingsuits. So surfing Socotra, you’re probably covered. Planning to race in Paris-Dakar? Nope. Check before you buy.

4. What about football matches in conflict zones?

Sure, as long as you’re not one of the pros. If you want to go and watch, no problem. If things get ugly and a riot breaks out, you’re covered. Unless you’ve been boozing. Just about every insurance company has a Drunk and Stupid clause. If you get loaded and then get hurt, it’s all on you.

5. What’s the best value in conflict zone insurance? Is it expensive?

The best value is medical and evacuation coverage. Getting medically evacuated from anywhere is expensive, and helicopters with emergency medical crews aren’t cheap. With the med & evac plan, the details are already in place. This should include everything from finding medical care to getting it.  If you’re in trouble, you don’t want to go looking up ‘air ambulance’ in a Farsi phone book.